Monday, March 23, 2009

Who? Me?

I have been tagged by Lavinia to tell the entire world of blogland! my "Cleaning Quirk!"

I couldn't think of one! I didn't think I had any. (Miss Ladyslipper should have asked my eldest Farmers Daughter Michele ! Now there's a girl with some cleaning quirks! ;~} I love you, darling!)

I asked the Gentleman Farmer what my cleaning quirk was; he said he would have to think about it ~ there were so many! What? Did he understand what I asked? Does he know what a quirk is? Well, he went to work this morning without giving me an answer, so I called youngest Farmers Daughter Shannon (who lives across the country) and asked her if I had any cleaning quirks. She promptly answered, "Oh, thats easy!" and proceeded to remind me of my little o.c.d. way I load my dishwasher! (Needless to say, that conversation didn't last long!)
Now I don't really think this qualifies as a "quirk".
I like to load the assorted patterns of dishes that I use, in such a way as to have them come out even. For example; one solid green plate and then one herb patterned plate, repeat until all dirty dishes are loaded. Continue in the same manner for bread and butter dishes, saucers and bowls. (Glasses have their proper places, too, but that is another rack!)
~
~
(I am showing images from the internet because their dishes are prettier than mine and my dishwasher isn't full. Didn't want to show dirty dishes! Yuck!!)
~
Now, the silverware must be separated into what I like to call 'families'. Each section of the basket must contain equal numbers of knife (Daddy) fork (Mommy) spoon (child). The first family stands upright in the basket and the second family stands on their heads! This makes perfect sense as they don't 'snuggle up to each other' preventing proper cleaning! (I really dislike it when there are odd numbers ~ then I have to create blended families! Not as asthetically pleasing in the basket and doesn't promote maximum cleanability!) I happen to think it is a very practical way make sure all surfaces of items in the dishwasher have maximum exposure to the hot spray of water and detergent! And it looks prettier than just sticking them in any old way! You may be saying, "But who sees them when they are in the closed dishwasher?" Nobody sees them, perhaps, but I know they are there and I want them symetrical!
~


~
(This is NOT the way I load silverware, but it is the best I could come up with for a picture!
At least they are all separated from maixmun exposure! But there are only enough children for half the Mommies and Daddies! :~O )
~
So there you have it ~ my 'dirty little secret' cleaning quirk exposed!
Gee! Thanks, Lavinia! ;~}
~
"Where can I go from Thy Spirit? Or where can I flee from Thy presence? If I ascend to heaven, Thou art there; if I make my bed in Sheol, behold, Thou art there. If I take the wings of the dawn, if I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, even there Thy hand will lead me, and Thy right hand will lay hold of me."
Psalm 139: 7-10

14 comments:

Heather said...

oh my goodness! i thought i was particular with my dishwasher but i think you take the cake on this one! lol.

Lavinia said...

Okaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy. Wow. Speechless. With admiration at your ingenuity! Yes yes it all makes perfect sense, why didn't I see it before?!

Unfortunately your method won't work for me because all my plates and dishes and bowls are mismatched, I have about a dozen different patterns. Also my daughter says I can't load the dishwasher right so she usually does it.

I love your quirk!!!

MamaHen said...

Very practical, but wow, the thought that has gone into that. I am happy to get them in there, turn it on, and get out!!!

Jennifer said...

I would definitely say that qualifies as a quirk!! ha ha I'm sure I have quite a few quirks myself but they haven't trickled down to the dishwasher (or at least, I don't think they have)!

Happy Monday to you -

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I loved this post and the way you load the dishwasher! Actually, in our home, it is my husband who is particular about loading the dishwasher. I think my way is so much better, but there is no convincing him. I think I'll share this post with him... you may get a new follower :)

Noel said...

I am so glad I found your blog! Thank goodness, I have only black and white dishes, keeps it simple :)

Mrs. E said...

What a delightful post....
maybe I will do my silverware in a little more of a symmetrical fashion!!

Many Blessings~ Miss Jen

Linda C said...

This is hilarious! I am spoiled by my dishwasher (Maytag) that gets things clean, no matter who loads it--of course it is usually me!

I am a little OCD with the bathroom counters- move something our of line there and I go all "Monk" on them:)

Great post! Gave me a giggle:)

Linda C

Lori said...

I'm thinking, your house must be extremely well kept and beautiful ;)

I don't have a dishwasher as of yet, maybe one day!

Lori said...

Sweet friend,
I forgot to mention...
I left you 2 awards over on
my blog ;)

Mama B said...

And people think I'M OCD!!!

I think I'll go wash my hands again...=)

And speaking of Monk; is it troubling that the couple of times that I watched that show, I was making mental lists of all the things that he did that weren't precise or sterile? The show needs a true nut in their collection of writers. Maybe I can find a job there.

Zoe said...

Too funny! The family units of silverware cracked me up - I will never look at knives, forks and spoons the same again. Now they are Daddies and Mommies and Babies. And making every other family stand on their heads - so funny. I am lazy, and put them in the basket by category, on their heads, so I just have to grab them in bunches to put away. But I'm sure yours are much cleaner! :)

Cheri said...

So cute!

Sue said...

Hello,
This is the cutest post, I was smiling all the while reading, it is so comforting to find others with little house cleaning quirks!!!
I was so blessed by the scripture you had , one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing and thank you for visiting me and your sweet words of encouragement.
Blessings,
Sue