Tuesday, November 18, 2008

To Grandmother's House We Go!


"Over the river, and through the wood,
To Grandmother's house we go;
The horse knows the way to carry the sleigh
through the white and drifted snow.
Over the river, and through the wood,
Oh, how the wind does blow!
It stings the toes and bites the nose
As over the ground we go.
Over the river, and through the wood,
To have a first-rate play.
Hear the bells ring, "Ting-a-ling-ding"
Hurrah for Thanksgiving Day!
Over the river, and through the wood
Trot fast, my dapple-gray!
Spring over the ground like a hunting-hound,
For this is Thanksgiving Day.
Over the river, and through the wood-
And straight through the barnyard gate.
We seem to go extremely slow,
It is so hard to wait!
Over the river, and through the wood -
Now Grandmother's cap I spy!
Hurrah for the fun! Is the pudding done?
Hurrah for the pumpkin pie!"
~by Lydia Marie Child~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the last few years, we have been invited to celebrate Thanksgiving with my 1st Son-in-Love's Grandparents. They are a dear, sweet Christian couple who have included us into their family. She does all the cooking ( with help from her daughters ) and this year has asked that my only contribution be something to drink. So I will be bringing some of our home squeezed apple cider! Some icy cold and some spicey and hot!

I would like to share a recipe that is an easy, delicious treat for the holidays or other special time. It is for "Candied Nuts". These have been such a hit with so many people, I included them in the baskets at my youngest daughter's "Picnic" wedding reception.
I had kept this recipe "secret" up until a year or so ago. So many people asked for it, I finally gave in. I had gotten it from a chef at a Bed and Breakfast. I hope you try this lovely sweet treet. ( It makes nice little gifts when packaged in lovely little bags tied up with ribbons!)

"Candied Nuts"
1 lb. nuts (pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Toast nuts on cookie sheet in hot oven until the smell of nuts fills the kitchen! ( approx. 5 min.)
Remove pan to cool.
Stir together sugar, cinnamon, salt and milk in a large saucepan.
Cook over meduim heat for 8 minutes or until 236* F
Remove from heat and stir in vanilla immediatly.
Add nuts to sugar mixture and stir to coat well.
Spoon onto waxed paper. Separate nuts with fork.
Cool.
Enjoy!





"take some of the best products of the land in your bags, and carry down to the man as a present, a little balm and a little honey, aromatic gum and myrrh, pistachio nuts and almonds." Gen. 43:11
"How sweet are Thy words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Ps. 119:103

6 comments:

Susan said...

Those nuts sound delicious! How sweet of your son-in-law's grandparents to open their arms to all the extended family!

Linda C said...

What a great post! Thank you for the complete poem and the recipe!
I really like your blog:)
Linda C

Kelli said...

I love your post! Thank you for the yummy recipe, too!
~Kelli

Susie Homemaker said...

What a beautiful post...thank you so much for sharing your "secret" recipe with us...we won't tell a soul...LOL

Blessings,
Susie

A Romantic Porch said...

Oh I love apple cider! xorachel

Mama B said...

I never knew there was so much to that little song! And it's about Thanksgiving, too! The Son-in-Love is just all a-twitter in anticipation of Grandma's goodies; we girls are, too.

xoxo