Saturday, August 15, 2009

Homemade Automatic Dishwasher Detergent

I ran out of my favorite Automatic dishwashing powder and haven't been able to find it anywhere. (Mrs. Meyers) I could order it online but it is way too expensive plus shipping!
So, I found some recipes for homemade and I am giving them a try.
This first recipe is:
1 part Borax
1 part Baking Soda
3 drops essential oil
I am using Lavender essential oil for its anti-biotic properties
and because that is what I had!
(I do love the smell)
Mix together and store in airtight container.
To use;
Just add 1 Tablespoon to the covered dispenser and 1 Tablespoon to the open one.


I have read that some people experience cloudy dishes with a film that must be washed off with
dish soap, and others have had no problem. It is recommended that White Vinegar be used as a rinse aid ~ just fill the dispenser in place of the commercial type.


I have washed two loads with my mix and so far am quite pleased.
I'll let you know if I change my mind!
After this batch is used up, I think I will try making the liquid type.
Have any of you ever made your own?
I would love to hear about it.
~*~
"Purify me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."
Psalm 51:7

4 comments:

Lori said...

What a neat post! Thanks for sharing this...now if I just had a dishwasher. LOL! I will pass this onto a few friends who do have one.
Have a great Sunday!

lady m said...

What a great idea! Isn't it wonderful when you could make your own products without a lot of fuss :)

In His Peace,

lady m

Sharon said...

Lady Farmer,

How are you liking this? I tried this recipe before with high hopes but ended up with a film and gritty feeling. It might be our water here, but I did (and do anyway) use Distilled White Vinegar. Any tips sweetie?

Sharon

Melanie said...

What a pretty blog! I am going to book mark it and visit again soon.